About the churches

Ringwood is a parish of three churches – the Parish Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, St. John the Baptist Church at Poulner and St Paul’s Church, Bisterne.    View Churches in the Parish of Ringwood in a larger map

The Parish Church (St Peter and St Paul)     LPOW image

The Parish Church, in the Market Place Ringwood Hampshire BH24 1AW, is a well-known landmark which can be clearly seen as you approach the town. The Grade II* listed building is well-loved by the people of Ringwood, whether they are church-goers or not. There has been a church on the site at least as far back as the eleventh century. Little is known of the wooden building recorded in the Domesday Book, but it is know that the first stone church was built on the site around 1200. The medieval church stood on the site until the early 1800s, by which time it had fallen into such bad repair that it had to be pulled down and rebuilt. The present building was constructed between 1853 and 1855 and includes many memorials and features from the thirteenth-century church. Guided tours with cream tea are available for parties of 20 or more. For further details contact info@ringwoodparish.org.uk.

St John the Baptist Church

St John’s, in Linford Road Ringwood Hampshire BH24 1TY, is a modern church was built in 1914 as a Mission Church, or Chapel of Ease, for parishioners who found it difficult to attend the main Parish Church. It lies around a mile and half from the centre of Ringwood. Since its construction, three housing estates have been developed nearby, so the church now serves a thriving community of its own. The Ringwood Parish Office is based in St John’s Church Hall.

St Paul’s Church

St Paul’s on Ringwood Road Bisterne Hampshire BH24 3BN, is a hidden treasure is easily overlooked since it is set behind a hedge on the Ringwood to Christchurch road. It was built in 1842 for the comfort of the people Bisterne to save them from travelling the three miles to the Parish Church. The church stands on land donated by the local Mills family.